Pat, pat, pat. Scratch, scratch. Lemme just stick that bobby pin right…there. Why is your scalp so itchy and dry? When the seasons change, our hair can, too. Drier air in winter and sweltering temps in summer can dry out your scalp which then causes your head to itch. Excessive scratching can introduce bacteria or fungus into the layers of the scalp which creates a cycle of endless itching and scratching.
An itchy scalp can also be caused by:
- Dandruff, otherwise known as seborrheic dermatitis.
- Allergy or sensitivity to hair products, including hair dye and other chemicals.
- Scalp psoriasis.
- Stress and Anxiety
- Inflammatory and autoimmune disorders, such as lupus and hypothyroidism
- Infection and Allergies
- Allergic contact dermatitis or irritant contact dermatitis, such as from a hair dye
- Folliculitis (infection of a hair follicle)
- Fungal infection (tinea capitis, ringworm) or bacterial infection of the scalp
Try Philip Kingsley Flaky Itchy Toner to immediately ease the itch and sooth any irritation. This toner is a soothing leave-in Scalp Toner with an anti-microbial and anti-flaking formula. It provides immediate and long lasting relief from irritation. It is a water based, leave-in formula that is fragrance Free.